What is online proofing?
Online proofing is a review and approval process that helps you get fast, transparent, and accurate feedback on your work.
From sharing your first draft to getting final approval, online proofing keeps things clear and organized for your whole team.
Why the world’s biggest brands and agencies use online proofing tools
In the last decade, we’ve seen a boom in messenger apps and project management software like Slack, Microsoft Teams, and Asana. Now, the most forward-thinking companies are investing in online proof tools to streamline their approval process.
Here are three ways online proof tools can help your team:
- Set consistent standards for quality – By using the same platform and review steps for all your online proofs, you can raise the bar for quality, accuracy, and compliance.
- Manage everyone’s feedback in one place – Watch the comments roll in on your online proofs in real time. So your reviewers can collaborate in the comments, using tools like annotations to make their feedback clear.
- Get work approved faster – Make it quicker and easier for reviewers to give feedback. So you can speed up review rounds and keep projects moving forward.
How online proof tools work in four simple steps
1. Share online proofs with your reviewers
Upload your files to a project in your online proof tool and invite your reviewers. Your online proofs will then be shared with your reviewers automatically as a review link.
2. Collect feedback and discuss changes
Let your reviewers add comments and annotations to your online proofs, and chat through ideas in context. You can also reply to make sure you’re clear what needs to happen next.
3. Share new versions in the same place
Upload your new versions to your online proof tool. Your reviewers can then compare it with the previous version side by side to see what’s changed.
4. Get approval from your reviewers
Your reviewers can either request changes or approve your files. So you can instantly see what needs more work, and what’s ready to be published.
How to find the right online proofing software for your team
Here are the four key questions you need to consider:
1. Is it easy to use?
Online proofing software isn’t just for your creatives and project managers. It’s for reviewers right across your company. So you need a tool that everyone can get onboard with, from your leadership team to legal.
2. Does it let you create custom review steps?
The best online proofing software lets you group reviewers into clear review steps, like creative or legal. So you can keep feedback focused as your projects move towards the finish line.
3. Will your files be secure?
Online proof tools often include features to keep your files safe. You can set passwords for file reviews and verify email addresses of your reviewers. And to make sure nothing gets lost, everything is backed up regularly.
4. Is it going to save your team time?
Online proofing software like Filestage is designed to automate your approval process. You can share files, remind reviewers to add comments, and consolidate feedback – all without lifting a finger.
With the right proofing app, you can share all your online proofs in one place
Make it easy to give visual feedback when proofing design projects, so comments are always clear.
Add comments directly on your videos, with full context for reviewers and creatives.
Set up a clear process for proofing artwork and checking for errors before anything goes to print.
Iterate on your web pages more often by proofing website designs, live pages, and HTML.
Collect everyone’s feedback in one place, instead of consolidating everything on email.
Get clear feedback on music tracks, voiceover artists, and other audio files for your creative projects.