House of Quality Template – How to Create a House of Quality
People have concrete demands and expectations about products and services. An example: In my view, sunglasses need to filter ultraviolet rays and look modern. Hence, product developers and project managers are facing the challenge of defining the characteristics of products and services according to my expectations (and to the expectations of other potential customers). Often, they use the so-called House of Quality (and a related House of Quality template) to overcome this challenge.
Quality Function Deployment, or House of Quality, is a famous method for transforming these customer demands and expectations into step-by-step processes for delivering the product or service.
In this article, I’ll provide you with a House of Quality template (or QFD template) and explain how you can use it on your own but also as a team.
House of Quality Template (QFD template)
I prepared a Google Spreadsheet for you that can be accessed here:
It is in read-only mode. So, feel free to make a copy or export it as a PDF to start working with it. You want to get the Excel version? It can be also downloaded after entering the email address.
House of Quality Steps
- Identify the customer needs – What does the customer really want?
- Identify how the product should please the customer – What features are important to satisfy the customer?
- Create importance ratings – How important are the respective features to the customer and how are the features weighted?
- Compare to competitors – How does our product/service compare to products/services of competitors?
- Define suitable technical characteristics – What technical attributes are needed to outperform competitors and to satisfy customer needs?
How to Collaborate on the House of Quality internally or with a client
When you are working with the House of Quality, discussing changes in a team or with a client can be cumbersome. A lot of emails with desired changes and updates House of Quality versions need to be sent. Is that really necessary? Nope, of course not. Shameless plug: You can use our tool Filestage to collaborate on the House of Quality with co-workers or customers easily.
All you need to do is the following:
- Sign up for a free trial (no credit card required!)
- Upload your House of Quality as PDF or image (or video if you prefer a screencast)
- Invite your team members or clients to the project
- Work together with them on the House of Quality and speed up your process (up to 10x)
- Speed up your go-to-market time immensely
Do you have any questions regarding the template or on how to collaborate with clients and co-workers on the House of Quality? Don’t hesitate to leave a comment. I am happy to help you out.
Max is a SaaS enthusiast and loves actionable content that provides direct value.