High-quality media gives businesses the power to increase brand awareness, elevate brand engagement, and delight their audience. Consumers and professionals have an insatiable appetite for amazing media experiences. So your creative department must be able to create attractive and engaging content. Here’s a look at the best post-production software.
Table of Contents
What Is Post-Production Software?
Post-production software involves the tools that creative teams use to edit and polish a piece of media after it’s been recorded.
In other words, post-production tools are aimed at photographers, filmmakers, audio engineers, and more. There are countless specialized tools to choose from, so you have to pick carefully. For example, you have to assess the suitability of post-production software in a few key areas, including functionality, licensing, price, platform, and more.
If you make the right choice, you’ll unlock the following benefits:
- Better overall media quality
- More engaged and inspired audiences
- Happier team members who have the right tools
- Media production that stays within your budget
Best Post-Production Software
Do you need to enhance your knowledge about post-production software? Here’s a look at the key tools in all the most prominent areas of post-production.
Video Project Management Software
By 2022, video will account for 82% of all internet traffic! And our expectations as audience members are growing in tandem. So if you’re going to engage your audience, you have to deliver quality video.
However, video projects are often very complex, so it can be difficult for your creative professionals to manage their tasks and get the feedback they need. Project management tools help teams organize video projects and create beautiful videos which are easy to share online.
Filestage gives creative professionals the easiest way to manage the content review process. This tool offers powerful features that harmonize communication and shine a light on accurate, in-context feedback.
Filestage is so intuitive and easy to use that little to no onboarding is required. So your internal and external stakeholders can start annotating videos, PDFs, images, and audio files in your browser within seconds. As a result, your communication can be visible to everyone, and it helps you improve your project completion time.
- You can collect all content feedback in one place.
- You’ll have unparalleled version control.
- It’s intuitive and easy to use, and no onboarding is required.
- It’s very easy to collect feedback from internal and external stakeholders.
- There’s no mobile app. (But it’s currently in development.)
Trello is a popular task management tool that helps creative teams collaborate more efficiently. Specifically, this tool helps teams organize tasks on a range of boards, lists, and cards.
- It’s easy to learn and use.
- It has an intuitive design.
- It offers a range of integrations.
- Its email integration is limited.
- It lacks freeform tags.
- Its keyboard shortcuts are limited.
Asana is another task management tool that helps teams focus on the most important tasks at hand. Similar to Trello, this tool offers teams the ability to organize, track, and manage their key tasks.
- Lots of integrations
- A quality feel
- A free plan for individuals
- Projects can quickly spiral out of control.
- Its project tasks can only be assigned to one person.
Video Editing Software
This kind of software is now more powerful than ever before. Equipped with the right tools, video engineers can create incredible videos of impeccable quality. This feature will help you impress and engage with your audience.
Here’s a look at some of the foremost software for video editing available…
Final Cut Pro X
Final Cut Pro X represents Apple’s contribution to the video-editing landscape. This version of the tool was first released in 2011, and it boasts powerful features, such as 360° video editing, 4K HDR support, and much more.
- It’s great for Mac users who are ready to graduate from iMovie.
- Visually, it’s clear and attractive.
- It’s only available for Macs.
- It’s not as powerful as some of the more premium tools.
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Premiere Pro is leading video-editing software that creative professionals use to make stunning video for film, TV, and the web. The tool integrates well with the additional Adobe apps and services that expedite your creative work.
- It integrates well with Adobe suite.
- It has advanced color-correction functionality
- Its interface is user-friendly.
- Since it’s resource-intensive, it requires a powerful computer.
- Creative Cloud subscriptions can be expensive.
HitFlim Express is a versatile video editor that can be used by aspiring pro filmmakers to produce great videos. This free tool works on both Macs and PCs. It also offers a rich add-on store that’s loaded with plugins and other powerful tools.
- A free option
- A thriving community with lots of support
- A professional-grade editor
- Primarily intended for effects-heavy projects
- Extremely complex and unsuitable for beginners
Image Editing Software
Images are critical to the success of your marketing. Whether you’re using photographs or collaterals like infographics, it’s critical for you to be able to communicate and support your ideas in a way that reflects your brand.
Let’s explore some of the best image-editing software out there.
Adobe Photoshop is one of the world’s foremost tools for editing photos, images, and designs. This tool is part of the Creative Cloud package, and when it comes to graphics editing, it’s cemented itself as the industry standard.
- It’s the industry standard.
- It’s very popular and offers lots of support.
- Undoubtedly, your team will be familiar with it.
- Depending on your Creative Cloud subscription, it can be pricey.
- In terms of its mobile offerings, Photoshop has fallen behind.
Adobe Lightroom is a free yet powerful photo editor. This tool gives photographers the ability to easily organize their photos and edit the raw image files they capture. This tool plays an important role in the workflow of many photographers.
- It’s the tool of choice for many photographers.
- Its sophisticated image-sorting features will save you time.
- Its file editing isn’t destructive.
- It doesn’t offer the same level of adjustments as Photoshop.
- Since it’s resource-intensive, it requires a powerful computer.
- Depending on your CC subscription, it can be expensive.
Affinity Photo is an image-editing tool that’s available for both Macs and PCs. It offers photographers the ability to add professional-grade enhancements to their images, but it isn’t quite as beginner-friendly as other tools.
- It’s much cheaper than other alternatives.
- It offers layer-based editing.
- It requires lots of time to master.
- Its organization functionality won’t cater to every photographer’s tastes.
Sound Editing & Mixing Software
When it comes to video, some creative professionals often have the tendency to focus primarily on the visuals. But we all know that the sound can make or break a piece of media.
Ready to learn about the best software for sound editing and mixing? Here we go!
Apple Logic Pro X
Logic Pro X puts a complete professional recording studio in the hands of its owners. As the name suggests, this tool is only available on Mac. It receives regular updates that exponentially enhance its already immense power.
- It has a very robust library of virtual instruments.
- Its editing and production software are powerful.
- It’s cost-effective, compared to other items.
- It’s exclusively available to Mac users.
Adobe Audition CC
Adobe Audition is a digital audio workstation that’s part of the Creative Cloud suite. This powerful tool helps accelerate the audio-finishing process, so you can deliver polished mixes that elevate the quality of videos.
- Its restoration and repair tools are great for non-destructive editing.
- It has the ability to record more than one audio source at a time.
- It includes a full digital mixer.
- With sustained use, this subscription model can get expensive.
Audacity is a big name in the world of digital audio editing. It’s a free option that’s available for all the key operating systems. As the product of an open-source initiative, Audacity delivers a multitrack editing experience for free.
- It’s free and open-source.
- It offers cross-platform use.
- It’s easy to use and master.
- It lacks the polish of more premium paid options.
Color Grading Software
Color grading is the science of adjusting saturations, contrasts, white points, and more. These slight adjustments can help improve the appearance of an image, and they can prevent your images from looking amateurish.
Let’s dig deeper into the color-grading software you can use to give your videos a professional touch…
DaVinci Resolve is one of the biggest names in color-editing software. This powerful tool brings 8K editing, color correction, visual effects, and audio post-production together in one place.
- Regular updates that add great new features
- One of the most powerful tools on the market
- Sophisticated color correction
- Difficult to master
- Requires a powerful computer
Color Finale is a color-grading plugin that enhances the functionality of Final Cut Pro X. This tool seamlessly integrates with Final Cut Pro X to offer industry-standard grading tools, such as three-way color wheels, RGB curves, and more.
- Seamlessly integrates with Final Cut Pro X
- Offers professional-grade tools
- Works directly within the timeline
- Only works with Macs
The goal of FilmConvert is to give filmmakers the ability to seamlessly create beautiful colors. The tool offers profiles for all leading cameras, which makes it easier for your video engineers to get amazing results as quickly as possible.
- Makes it easy to achieve professional color grading
- Expedites the color-grading process
- Requires a significant amount of time for rendering
Motion Graphics and Visual Effects Software
Motion graphics (e.g., animated design) and visual effects (e.g., CGI) have the potential to create truly stunning footage that audiences love. Now more than ever, brands are experimenting with the potential to use these exciting areas of video.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the best software for motion graphics and visual effects…
Nuke is an app for digital compositing and creating visual effects. This popular tool is available for all the key operating systems, and it’s regularly used for television and film post-production.
- Offers cutting-edge toolkits
- Facilitates flexible and collaborative workflows
- Can provide lots of guidance
- Requires lots of training
Cinema 4D is one of the most popular tools among 3D artists. This tool is developed by MAXON, and it prides itself on its power and simplicity. Its plethora of tutorials can help 3D artists get some incredible results.
- It’s easier to learn than other options.
- It offers a wide range of tools.
- It’s capable of fast-paced 3D production.
- Given that it’s aimed at industry leaders, it’s very expensive.
After Effects is a tool from Adobe that’s used by many video engineers around the world. In fact, when it comes to motion graphics and visual effects, it’s cemented its reputation as the industry standard.
- It integrates with Adobe suite.
- Its UI is simple and attractive.
- It’s a very popular tool among 3D artists.
- It lacks some of the features in more premium tools.
Video Review Software
Once the first draft of your video is ready, you need a plan for the video- review process. The right tool can empower every stakeholder to make his or her voice heard and leave clear, actionable feedback.
Filestage makes it easy for teams to take complete control of the video-review process. With this intuitive platform, stakeholders can leave in-context feedback and annotations for your video team. This tool also offers an integrated to-do list, so you can make sure you don’t miss anything.
- It offers a time-saving approval workflow.
- It has the ability to archive and export comments.
- It provides clear version-control features.
- It currently lacks a mobile application.
Wipster is a platform for video feedback that helps every team member get on the same page. The goal of this itool is to satisfy the needs of the three key groups involved in the process: videomakers, reviewers, and managers.
- Directly provide feedback to a video.
- Expedite the video-review process.
- The potential for comments to appear in the wrong places
- Complex pricing structures
Vidhub is a video review platform that aims at eliminating the complexity that comes with the video-review process. This tool makes it easy to leave timestamped comments while handling revision management and more.
- A fresh UX
- A focus on simplicity and speediness
- It lacks task-management functionality.
Video Archiving Software
Once you’ve created your video, it’s important that it’s accessible and ready to be used at a moment’s notice. In other words, you have to find a secure, shared space to store those videos.
Let’s delve more into the best video-archiving software out there…
Filestage makes it easy for your team members to create catalogs of your video content. So within a few clicks, your team members can access the final version of your content without any confusion.
- It offers secure storage.
- It’s easy to see which content is a WIP and which is finalized.
- Its pricing is competitive.
- It currently lacks a mobile application.
Google Drive is one of the world’s most popular cloud-storage platforms. It currently serves millions of personal and professional accounts around the world. Its storage is secure, and it’s easy to manage permissions.
- It’s easy to organize files and folders.
- It’s immensely popular.
- It works on any platform.
- Its free storage space is limited.
Dropbox is another popular cloud-storage platform. It also acts as a smart workspace that helps you consolidate your team’s content. This tool also makes it easy to organize that content and manage permissions.
- It’s very easy to set up and get started.
- Its personalized suggestions surface the right content.
- It offers competitive pricing.
- It could cause intermittent syncing issues.
We hope this closer look at the best post-production software solutions has been helpful for you. There are lots of incredible tools out there, so you should keep a constant eye on the landscape and find out how it develops. Feel free to start your free Filestage trial today.
Max is a SaaS enthusiast and loves actionable content that provides direct value.