Getting any project from the first version to final sign-off is a challenge in itself. When you’re up to your eyeballs in endless edits and review rounds, the last thing you want to do is waste time rummaging around for past or current versions of your files. That’s why most marketing agencies and creative teams use digital file management tools to share, store, and manage their digital assets.
Dropbox is one of the biggest names in the file management business, and the go-to platform for a lot of organizations around the world. But while the cloud storage service offers a decent range of file sharing features, it also has its fair share of downsides.
From limited external sharing to clunky collaboration tools, there are lots of reasons why it’s worth checking out the best Dropbox alternatives. And this is exactly what we’re going to do in this article.
Here’s our roundup of the top Dropbox alternatives for file and version management and data storage.
- Adobe Creative Cloud
Before we get stuck into the best bits about each one of these Dropbox alternatives, let’s quickly define file and version management.
What is file and version management?
File management refers to the way that businesses organize their files. This includes everything from social media assets to packaging designs and more. Think of file management tools like a virtual filing cabinet that lets you securely store important files and find them just as easily.
Similarly, version management refers to the way businesses organize different versions of the same file. This makes it easy to track changes to projects as they’re made. Having an orderly version management process makes sure that your team can find and work on the right version of every project with less room for error.
File and version management is usually done with cloud storage and it plays an essential role in any organization that needs to share files between teammates.
1. Filestage – best Dropbox alternative for file and version management
Filestage is a file sharing and approval software that streamlines the way teams manage their projects from start to finish.
Users can upload, review, and approve an extensive range of different file formats (documents, videos, graphics, photos, PDFs, audio – the list goes on!) with just a few quick clicks. And if you need a secure place to share files and track changes as projects progress, you’ll also be delighted to hear that Filestage lets you track and control all your file versions and comments.
The tool itself is super easy to use and allows teams to add feedback directly on top of each file for quick collaboration and faster sign-offs.
Here’s an overview of Filestage’s handy tools and features:
- Project folders – Create and name folders for individual projects for easy file management
- Seamless integrations – Share and manage files from all your favorite applications, including Slack, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Premiere Pro, Asana, and lots more
- Unlimited users – Invite managers, teammates, and clients to review and provide feedback directly on the file (no account needed)
- User permissions – Make sure the right people are giving and receiving the right feedback with access controls and password protection
- One-click approvals – Once you’re happy with the your file, mark it approved and save or download for distribution
How to share and manage files with Filestage
Here’s how you can share and manage your files with Filestage in a few simple steps:
- Sign up to Filestage for free
- Create a project folder, give it a name, and upload files
- Invite reviewers and collaborators, or send them a link to the project
- Let collaborators add feedback and suggestions in the comments
- Upload and track each new file version and mark approved when ready
- Store your approved file neatly within Filestage and download if needed
Share files and get feedback in one place
Review and approve videos, designs, documents, and more with Filestage.
Box is a well-known secure cloud storage solution that lets teams share, comment, edit, and access files in real time from anywhere.
This secure cloud storage and collaboration platform supports collaborative work environments, with an emphasis on secure and efficient file management. Some of its security features include end to end encryption and access controls that keep sensitive files under virtual lock and key.
- File search – Find files easily with Box’s search function
- Security – Keep files protected with a robust set of access controls and optional expiry dates on shared file links
- Syncing – Access and work on files without internet by syncing files to your desktop
Workzone is a Dropbox alternative and project management tool that allows users to share and save file versions. It even automates the version control process by numbering each new version as it’s uploaded into the specific project folder.
You can also integrate Workzone into your approval workflow by tracking file revisions and planning your team’s time and resources as needed. This makes it easier to manage project files and folders.
- File sharing hub – Securely share files with clients, teammates, and freelancers with the tool’s free cloud storage space
- Tasks and subtasks – Organize who works on what and when by assigning tasks (and smaller tasks within these tasks)
- Intuitive design – Workzone’s user-friendly interface makes it easy to track, manage, and find file versions
4. Adobe Creative Cloud
Design projects often require more than a few reviews and file versions, but Adobe’s built-in file version tracking feature can help your team cut down on the chaos and confusion throughout the creative process.
Adobe Creative Cloud is one of those Dropbox alternatives that has a whole family of applications, like Photoshop, InDesign, and Premiere Pro. And each app protects your projects by automatically keeping track of different versions of your work.
- Cloud storage – Store and access files in seconds across different devices with secure cloud storage
- Multiple apps – Adobe Creative Cloud is an alternative to Dropbox that has an app for every design and marketing need so you work with a consistent style across all projects
- File retrieval – Retrieve and revisit old versions of your file so you can make and track changes confidently
Filecamp is a digital asset management (DAM) system that makes it easy for teams to share, store, and manage files with just a few quick clicks. This software can streamline the way you manage files across a range of different projects thanks to its ability to support images, videos, documents, and other file formats with cloud storage.
- Collections – Create “Collections” from files saved across multiple folders for easy collaboration and distribution
- File links – Anyone can send files right into your Filecamp with a secure link, and you’ll even get notified whenever files are uploaded
- File tags – Search and share files easily by creating custom tags for each file or folder
Confluence’s cloud storage services give busy teams a workspace for content collaboration and documentation. Designed by Atlassian, this robust Dropbox alternative lets users create, share, and work together on content on one platform with ample storage space.
Although Confluence focuses more on sharing and editing files, it also has a document version management system where teams can store and organize documents and attachments. When you create a folder for your documents, new pages are versioned and a version history can be accessed at any time once permissions have been set and granted.
- Unlimited Spaces and Pages – Confluence lets you create as many project folders and documents as your team needs
- Content tree – Organize and structure your content so you can find projects easily
- Track and revert changes – View the history of changes to each page, compare versions, and get older versions back in a tick
A steep learning curve can really slow businesses down when using new software. So Nuclino offers a clutter-free cloud storage space where teams can plan projects, brainstorm ideas, and manage tasks and files.
This stripped-back cloud storage platform takes the fuss out of file management by making it easy to share, store, and search for projects. It’s super easy to set up and has an intuitive interface that helps you glide from task to task effortlessly. And of course, it comes fully equipped with version tracking abilities too.
- Integrations – Hook Nuclino up with your other applications for a seamless workflow across multiple devices thanks to its cloud storage space
- Collective documents – Add notes, assign tasks, and manage files all in one place
- Pin items – Nuclino lets you pin important documents so they appear at the top of your file list
While Canva might not be the first tool that comes to mind when you think of file and version management, it offers a simple but comprehensive solution for managing every version of your design.
Whether you use Canva to create social media graphics, presentations, posters, or documents, you review and restore up to 15 versions of every file. The platform lets you rename and duplicate files using the editor for a more flexible workflow too.
- Unlimited folders – Manage and share your content with however many shareable folders you need with lots of free storage space
- Brand templates – Create and save template files to use across every project
- Export and download options – Once complete, your designs can be easily exported in various formats, like JPEG, PNG, and PDF
Figma is most commonly used for interface design, user experience (UX) design, and collaborative design projects. But it can also be used for brainstorming ideas and visualizing project strategies.
The tool’s real-time collaboration features allow teams to work together seamlessly, provide feedback, and make changes as needed. To complement this, Figma also keeps teams’ file versions in order with a simple, secure file version management system. That’s the beauty of cloud storage!
- Cross-platform accessibility – Because its based in the cloud, users can use Figma from any device across a variety of popular platforms
- Prototyping – Create interactive versions of your designs to see exactly how they’ll work when live
- Design systems and libraries – Reuse different elements and styles for faster and more consistent results
Next up, we have HubSpot. Hubspot is an all-in-one marketing automation software and cloud storage provider that boasts a range of tools that support teams with email marketing, social media management, content creation, and more.
While CRM is HubSpot’s bread and butter, you can rest assured that any unpublished pages or posts are saved automatically as edits are made on the platform. Great news for bigger, busier teams with many moving parts!
- Document tracking – Send trackable documents, like proposals or contracts to leads to your organization’s leads and customers
- File URL visibility – Get full control over who can access your files
- Workflows – Create and customize workflows to keep everyone in the loop throughout a project
Notion is one of those Dropbox alternatives that lets teams do a little bit of everything, including note-taking, campaign planning, collaboration, and file management.
Notion uses drag and drop across all of its features and you can use it to create a customized file management system that works for your project. The platform lets you organize and manage files in one place for your team to access from their desktop.
- Knowledge management systems – Notion’s knowledge base features can help you capture, store, and organize all your files in one accessible place
- Templates – Notion has a variety of file templates for project plans, to-do list, and more
- Ability to support a range of file formats – Manage documents, images, and other types of media
Last but not least is Quip. Quip is a collaborative productivity platform that combines documents, spreadsheets, and chat in one cloud storage workspace.
Designed to streamline collaboration and communication within teams, Quip takes an interactive approach to document creation and collaboration. The tool keeps files in an orderly fashion by organizing documents into folders, with permissions and controls for extra security.
- Living documents – Teammates can collaborate on files simultaneously and in real time with changes reflected straight away
- Notifications – Quip sends instant notifications to keep users in the loop about changes, comments, and tasks
- Offline access – With Quip, users can work on documents without an internet connection and all changes will sync up as soon as they reconnect
When it comes to file and version management, there are lots of brilliant cloud storage providers and secure file sharing tools that give Dropbox a run for its money.
I hope this article helps you choose the best Dropbox alternatives to manage files and boost your business’ productivity. If you’d like to see how Filestage can transform the way you review, approve, and manage your projects, start your free trial today.